Aftercare and Rewaxing
Your Driza-Bone has been designed and manufactured to provide you with years of duty; however it will require attention to maintain its weatherproof qualities. Driza-Bone recommends you follow these simple steps to prolong the life of your favourite Driza-Bone;
Always store your Oilskin garment in a dry, well-ventilated area. DO NOT place in a cupboard or plastic bag for long periods of time, otherwise it will become mouldy. If your Oilskin has become mouldy, we recommend hanging it in full sun for a couple of weeks. If garment is still mouldy, hand-wash with pure soap and re-proof.
- Follow the washing/care instructions attached to the inside of the garment.
- DO NOT wash with detergent or hot water. This removes the oil and wax, which are crucial to the Oilskin’s waterproof qualities.
- When garment gets soiled, sponge down outer fabric with cold water and brush off dirt and marks.
- When garment is extremely dirty, hand-wash in cold water using pure soap only (e.g. Sunlight or Lux). Please note that it is essential to reproof the garment after any washing.
- After washing, rinse well (hang garment outside on clothesline and hose down).
- Hang in a well-ventilated area until completely dry.
- DO NOT hang on radiators, expose to naked flame or use artificial heat to dry. Once completely dry, the garment will need reproofing with the DC21 Driza-Bone Oilskin Re-Proofer (tin).
- DO NOT dry clean, starch or iron as this will harm the fabric
With wear over time, the oil and wax on the oilskin fabric will naturally dry out. Driza-Bone recommend regular checks to prevent dryness and promote longevity. Driza-Bone offer two types of re-proofing products for Oilskin care (Please double check your coat is definitely an oilskin/wax fabric before applying).
- For re-proofing Oilskin garments
- One 400ml tin will reproof one long Riding Coat
- Wax compound needs to be heated and melted before use
- Re-proofing process can be a bit messy, however, it seals the garment properly and effectiveness is guaranteed
- Use only genuine Driza-Bone Re-proofer, as substitutes may harm the garment. DO NOT use any leather care goods to treat your Oilskin garments, as the Oilskin has different properties to leather.
- The Driza-Bone Re-proofer (tin) is an oil/wax compound that needs to be heated up by placing the tin in hot water (with the lid off). This will liquefy the dressing, which is essential for easy and effective application. DO NOT place tin in microwave.
- Place garment on a flat surface and apply garment dressing using a soft bristled paintbrush or sponge. Pay particular attention to crucial areas such as shoulders, neck seams and places subject to friction (e.g., pockets and creases in sleeves and knees).
- After re-proofing, hang garment out in the sun on a warm day, or use the heat of a blow-dryer on a low setting, spreading the heat evenly over the coat as this helps the oil penetrate the garment.
- After drying, place garment on a strong hanger and leave to cool.
- Your Driza-Bone coat will now be rejuvenated.